Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Why did William Butler Yeats say, "I will arise and go now to Innisfree"?

"When I was a young lad in the town of Sligo I read  Thoreau's essays and wanted to live in a hut on an island in Lough Gill called Innisfree which means "Heather Island."  I wrote the poem in London when I was about 23." W.B. Yeats (1865-1939).

Yeats was born in Dublin but moved to London when he was 2 years old and lived there till he was 16.

The poem is a subjective expression of a young man's yearning for his childhood Eden to offset the alienation he experienced in the urban landscape of the metropolis of London.

The tranquil rhythm of the lyric- "my first lyric with anything in its rhythm of my own music" (Yeats)- emphasises an implicit contrast with the hustle and bustle of London.

The diction of the first line of the poem -"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree"- is archaic and signals the nostalgic mood which permeates the entire poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...