Monday, February 17, 2014

What is an example of parallelism in Brutus' speech?

In Act III, scene ii of Julius Caesar, Brutus uses much parallelism (parallel construction: using the same pattern of words to show that two or more ideas have the same level of importance.)


He begins his speech thusly:



Then follow me, and give me audience, friends.



Notice the repetition of "me" in the object placement in both clauses.


Later, he says:



Those that will hear me speak, let 'em stay here;
Those that will follow Cassius, go with him;



Notice the repetition of the "those that will" at the beginning of each clause.


Still later, he returns to the "me" as object coupled with the "that you may":



hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believeme
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may
believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge.



The speech builds as the level of parallelism increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...