Monday, July 21, 2014

What causes the bitterness of Hamlet?

In addition to all of the incidents listed above, there is an intrinsic melancholia in Hamlet as he contemplates suicide in Act I Sc. ii:  "O, that this too too salied flesh would melt...into a dew..."

Further evidence of melancholia is in his meditations upon man in general: "What a piece of work is man...yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?..."  Later, Hamlet remarks, "There is a doomsday near....A dream itself is a shadow....I have lost all my mirth, forgone exercises...." (Act II, Scene II). 

And, in his bitterness there may also be some misogyny in his attitudes toward Ophelia, and especially his mother:  "Fraility thy name is woman (Act I, Sc. ii), and "O most pernicious woman/O villain, villain, similing damned villain.... "(Act I, Scene v) 

See the second source listed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...