Monday, August 10, 2015

What words and phrases provide religous symbolism in the short story, "Araby"?

When speaking of her image and how it filled his mind, the narrator says this:  I imagined that I bore my chalice safely through a throng of foes. Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand.  A chalice is a sacred vessel.  Therefore, he is considering her image to be sacred, and her name to evoke prayers.

In considering his chances of actually succeeding with her if he were to approach her, he says: I did not know whether I would ever speak to her or not or, if I spoke to her, how I could tell her of my confused adoration. But my body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires.  Adoration is used in connection with religious worship, and the harp is traditionally an instrument used in religious ceremonies.

See the links below for more information on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...