Friday, June 17, 2011

Who is to blame for the tragedy? I need to quote from Act V, scene iii in "Romeo and Juliet."Hopefully it's about fate and Friar Lawrence. I need...

As an introduction to his explanation of what has happened, Friar Laurence takes responsibility for part, but not all, of the tragedy.  He hopes his words will clarify why events have unfolded as they have:

"I am the greatest, able to do least, yet most suspected, as the time and place doth make against me, of this direful murder; and here I stand, both to impeach and purge, myself condemned and myself excused" (V,iii,223-227).

After hearing what the Friar, Balthasar, and the Page of Paris have to say, the Prince addresses both the Capulets and Montague, effectively saying that heaven, or fate, has been the ultimate cause behind the tragedy, and that because of their hate, everyone, including himself, are convicted and punished:

"Where be these enemies?  Capulet, Montague, see what a scourge is laid upon your hate, that heaven finds means to kill your joys with love.  And I, for winking at your discords, too have lost a brace of kinsmen.  All are punished" (V,iii, 291-296).

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...