Friday, December 28, 2012

In what style is the book "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" written?

This book is written in the style of an autobiography.  It is in the first person point of view and tells the story of her life in chronological order.  However, ever the poet, Angelou uses many stylistic devices to enhance the retelling of her life. 

She uses regional dialect in portraying character - Naw, Helen, you ain't standing like her. This here's it.

She uses biblical allusions - My pretty Black brother was my Kingdom Come.

She uses literary allusions - During these years in Stamps, I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare. He was my first white love.

She uses alliteration - I mastered the art of crocheting and tatting, and there was a lifetime's supply of dainty doilies that would never be used in sacheted dresser drawers.

She uses personification - Just my breath, carrying my words out, might poison people and they'd curl up and die like the black fat slugs that only pretended. I had to stop talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...