Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Does anyone know a famous civil war quote about leadership and taking responsibility by James Longstreet?

Here are several to consider.

In the following quote, we see the General having to make both strategic and difficult choices in battle.   

As full lines of battle could not be handled through the thick wood, I ordered the advance of the six brigades by heavy skirmish lines, to be followed by stronger supporting lines. 

On the difficulty of having to wait for rewards and/or satisfaction for having assumed a leadership role:

I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy.

On the downside of leadership:

If the blame (if there is any) can be shifted from him to me, I shall help him and our cause by taking it. I desire, therefore, that all the responsibility that can be put upon me shall go there and shall remain there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...