Saturday, August 24, 2013

From this initial interaction between Proctor and Abigail in "The Crucible", what do you understand about their relationship?What is the nature of...

It is clear from the first moment of their exchange that John has put their relationship in the past and that Abigail is still holding on.  She believes that they love each other and should be together, and that it is only the claws of his wife and the community that are keeping them apart.  John shows that he obviously doesn't care about her.  The affair was one of sex, not love, and he is done with her. 

The conflict that arises is just this - she wants to be with John and John is shunning her.  Here are her comments to him when this becomes clear:

  • I look for John Proctor that took me from my sleep and put knowledge in my heart! I never knew what pretense Salem was, I never knew the lying lessons I was taught by all these Christian women and their covenanted men! And now you bid me tear the light out of my eyes? I will not, I cannot! You loved me, John Proctor, and whatever sin it is, you love me yet!

She refuses to believe that John does not love her, and she clearly shows her attitude towards the town as a whole.  Abigail is a young woman that has been burnt.  She is bitter, and she will retaliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...