Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Is this quote (or something similar) from one of Shakespeare's works? "Let he that hath steerage of my course, direct my sail."I remember this one...

This is a partial quote from lines spoken by Romeo in Act I Scene V of Romeo and Juliet.  Romeo, still enraptured by Juliet, has been listening half-heartedly to Mercutio's Queen Mab speech, which Mercutio himself dismisses as "vain fantasy."  Romeo responds by describing a feeling of foreboding which has overcome him, a foreshadowing of the tragedy which is about to unfold.  Romeo says, "Some consequences, yet hanging in the stars,/Shall bitterly begin his fearful date/With this night's revels; and expire the term/Of a despised life, clos'd in my breath/By some vile forfeit of untimely death:/But he, that hath the steerage of my course,/Direct my sail."  The "he", I believe, is God, but despite the reference to faith, Romeo feels his life is tangled in the threads of a perilous fate which he is powerless to avoid.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...