Saturday, May 3, 2014

Does anyone have quotes from chapter 7 of "The Great Gatsby," specifically the scene where Gatsby takes the blame for Myrtle's death? I'm trying to...

Do you not have a copy of the book to work from? If you do, then read over chapter 7 a couple of times to find just the right text for what you want to express.

In case you don't have the book, here's an excerpt from chapter 7:

I hadn’t gone twenty yards when I heard my name and Gatsby stepped from between two bushes into the path....

“What are you doing?” I inquired.

“Just standing here, old sport.”...

“Did you see any trouble on the road?” he asked after a minute.

“Yes.”

He hesitated.

“Was she killed?”

“Yes.”

“I thought so; I told Daisy I thought so. It’s better that the shock should all come at once. She stood it pretty well.”

As Nick says, "He spoke as if Daisy’s reaction was the only thing that mattered." Gatsby is more concerned about Daisy's feelings than the fact that a woman has just been killed. Gatsby tells Nick that he is going to watch the house until he is sure Daisy has gone to bed, perhaps a way to assure himself that she is all right. In that sense, you could point out his goodness in that he does care for her well-being. However, that cannot excuse his callousness over Myrtle's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...