Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What "confession" did Elizabeth make to John in act 4 of "The Crucible"?

The confession that Elizabeth makes to John in Act IV is that she realizes that she herself played some role in the marital difficulties that led John to commit adultery with Abigail.  She states that "it needs a cold wife to prompt lechery.." and continues that

I counted myself so plain, so poorly made, no honest love could come to me! Suspicion kissed you when I did.  I never knew how I should say my love. It were a cold house I kept.  (Act IV scene 2)

In this admission Elizabeth has shown great growth in character and is no longer the suspicious fragile woman she once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...