Sunday, May 13, 2012

Please give a quote with the scene and act from "Much Ado About Nothing" on how Hero tricked Claudio into thinking she was dead.

Remember, first of all, that Hero was not the originator of this plan.  She agreed to it, with as much say as she had, but the plan was that of the Friar's and created mostly on behalf of Leonato's shame and the truth of Hero's innocence.  I'm including some quotes below from various characters that surround this plot development:

FRIAR FRANCIS   (this is announcing the plan)

Pause awhile,
And let my counsel sway you in this case.
Your daughter here the princes left for dead:
Let her awhile be secretly kept in,
And publish it that she is dead indeed;
Maintain a mourning ostentation
And on your family's old monument
Hang mournful epitaphs and do all rites
That appertain unto a burial........ Marry, this well carried shall on her behalf
Change slander to remorse

LEONATO (this is when he informs Claudio of Hero's "death")
Canst thou so daff me? Thou hast kill'd my child;
If thou kill'st me, boy, thou shalt kill a man.

BENEDICK (this is his challenge to Claudio for "killing" Hero)
You are a villain, I jest not: I will make it good how you dare,
with what you dare, and when you dare. Do me right, or I will protest
your cowardice. You have killed a sweet lady, and her death shall
fall heavy on you. Let me hear from you.

HERO  (revealing herself alive)
And when I lived, I was your other wife:  And when you loved, you were my other husband....   One Hero died defiled, but I do live,
And surely as I live, I am a maid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...