Monday, September 30, 2013

Does Lord Capulet change his mind about Juliet's marriage to Paris after Tybalt's death?

Capulet never changed his mind about the marriage.  From the start, he was approving of the match and encouraging of Juliet's suitor.  In Act 1.2.16-22, Capulet says:

But woo her, gentle Paris, get her heart,

My will to her consent is but a part,

And she agreed, within her scope of hoice

Lies my consent and fair according voice.

This night I hold an old accustomed fast

Whereto I have invited many a guest

Such as I love, and you among the store.

When Tybalt is slain by Romeo, Lord Capulet erroneously believes that a hastened marriage to Paris will cure his melancholy daughter.  In Act 3.4.13-16, Capulet pleads:

Sir Paris, I will make a desperate tender

Of my child's love.  I think she will be ruled

In all respects by me; nay, I doubt it not.

Lord Capulet, blind as ever, believes until the bitter end that his daughter will ultimately follow his "will." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...