Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What are three quotes from "The Cask of Amontillado" that show "Montresor is a snake"?

Your metaphor suggests you want quotes that show how evil and cunning Montresor is, qualities suggestive of a snake's perceived nature. Montresor shows both these qualities throughout the story. When he says, "I continued, as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile now was at the thought of his immolation." Montresor goes to great lengths to give Fortunato no clue as to what he's planning, and he's able to hide his joy at the thought of Fortunato's death.

After Fortunato's drunkenness wears off, he tries to get out of his chains. This struggle pleases Montresor to the point that ". . . I ceased my labors and sat down upon the bones." He stops working so he can listen. This shows Montresor's madness in his desire to have Fortunato suffer before he dies.

One of the quotes that best illustrates Montresor's evil nature and his own madness is toward the end of the story. Fortunato begins to scream at the thought of what is happening to him, and Montresor gets such enjoyment from this that he "replied to the yells of him who clamored. I re-echoed--I aided--I surpassed them in volume and in strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...