Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What do Odysseus's men want to do when they find the Cyclops' cave?

In Episode IX of The Odyssey, Odysseus takes the men to the island of the Cyclopes.  His men have been rebellious and difficult, having gotten into trouble with the Cicones and the Lotus-Eaters.  So, Odysseus is angry with them.  In coming to the Island of the Cyclops, Odysseus calls all the shots: his men have no say in the matter.


Observe:



"We sailed hence, always in much distress, till we came to the land of the lawless and inhuman Cyclopes.



It makes no mention of his men wanting to sail there or sail around it, to go ashore or to the caves.


Later, Odysseus tells his men:



"'Stay here, my brave fellows,' said I, 'all the rest of you, while I go with my ship and exploit these people myself: I want to see if they are uncivilized savages, or a hospitable and humane race.' "



He also says:



"I went on board, bidding my men to do so also and loose the hawsers; so they took took their places and smote the grey sea with their oars...I told my men to draw the ship ashore, and stay where they were, all but the twelve best among them, who were to go along with myself."



Later, when Odysseus directs the men to Polyphemus' cave, he says:



When they saw all this, my men begged me to let them first steal some cheeses, and make off with them to the ship; they would then return, drive down the lambs and kids, put them on board and sail away with them. It would have been indeed better if we had done so but I would not listen to them, for I wanted to see the owner himself, in the hope that he might give me a present. When, however, we saw him my poor men found him ill to deal with.



Is this what you mean?  They want to steal some cheese, lambs, and baby lambs, and run off to the ship?

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...