Sunday, July 7, 2013

Find a quote showing use of the literary element repetition for effect in the story "Raymond's Run".

One section of the story has the young girl explaining what it feels like just before she begins a race.  She talks about this feeling like being in a dream.   This really helps the reader to understand the story from the young narrator's point of view.

"Every time, just before I take off in a race, I always feel like I'm in a dream, the kind of dream you have when you're sick with fever and feel all hot and weightless.  I dream I'm flying over a sandy beach in the early morning sun, kissing the leaves of the trees as I fly by." (Bambara) 

Another example is listed in the following quote:

"Repetitive, rhythmic phrasing is another technique which contributes to the oral quality of the narration, such as when Hazel describes her mother’s reaction to Hazel’s ‘‘high-pranc[ing]’’ down 34th Street ‘‘like a rodeo pony’’ to strengthen her knees: ‘‘she walks ahead like she’s not with me, don’t know me, is all by herself on a shopping trip, and I am somebody else’s crazy child.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...