Sunday, May 22, 2011

In "Frankenstein", who has more of an ability to think critically, Victor or the creature? Who lacks it?quotes will help.

Although the monster does go through a great metamorphosis in learning about what it means to be human, Victor Frankenstein is greatly changed by his experience and his introspection on life deepens in humility as the book progresses. 

Therefore, even though the monster changes and acquires more human qualities which allow him to think critically, Victor Frankenstein surpasses him in this area. In the following passage, Victor admits that he wasted his life on a project that was born from his egotistical tendencies.

"All my speculations and hopes are as nothing; and, like the archangel who aspired to omnipotence, I am chained in an eternal hell. My imagination was vivid, yet my powers of analysis and application were intense; by the union of these qualities I conceived the idea and executed the creation of a man. Even now I cannot recollect without passion my reveries while the work was incomplete. I trod heaven in my thoughts, now exulting in my powers, now burning with the idea of their effects." (Chapter 24)

Victor realizes that he attempted to play God, and for his ambition, his desire to achieve this feat, he now suffers.  This quote symbolizes how Victor Frankenstein has changed and become much more contemplative, a gifted scientist, he should have put his brilliant mind towards helping humanity fight disease instead.   

The monster no matter how intellectual he becomes is still a primal beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Act III, scene 2, why may the establishment of Claudius's guilt be considered the crisis of the revenge plot?

The crisis of a drama usually proceeds and leads to the climax.  In Shakespeare's Hamlet , the proof that Claudius is guilty...